September – Commercial Aquaponics Course 2018
Saturday, Sep 29, 2018
– Sunday, Sep 30, 2018
9:00am – 4:00pm
This course is aimed at anyone who wants to start-up and manage an aquaponics business. We will guide you through planning, economics, operation, feasibility and business models.
You will learn:
- A world-renowned, innovative approach to sustainable food production from the largest aquaponic trout farm in the EU specialising in gourmet fish production and added value production.
- How the aquaponics industry has diversified and adapted to modern demands.
- The techniques and equipment essential for running a successful commercial aquaponic system.
- The practical skills used in aquaculture farming and applied methods of Hydroponic production, utilised by industry experts.
- The commercial aquaculture licensing and regulation requirements to help you to comply with industry standards.
- Critical business thinking to develop your commercial set-up, helping you to avoid costly mistakes and focus resources in the right places.
1. The industry today
- Application of the Aquaponics industry
- The status of Commercial Aquaponics
- Aquaculture – RAS
2. System components
- Floating Raft (D.W.C), NFT, Media-filled Systems, drip-fed, vertical
- Suspended solid management
- Bio-filters options
- Oxygenation devices and diffusers
- Water pumps controls
- Advantage of hydrodynamic
- Coupled/de-coupled systems approach
- Aquaponic system management
- System operation and maintenance
- Commercial greenhouses structures
- Greenhouses environmental control (passive, active)
3. Design, construction, system redundancy
- Customised system design
- Choice of construction material and suppliers
- GSM remote alarms and devices
- System back-up’s
- Fish stocking density
- Harvest management and humane slaughtering method
- Feeding devices and methods
- Commercial antibacterial solution and sanitation
- Biosecurity and disease management
- How to achieve a clean taste in fish
5. Economics of commercial AP
- Retail finfish demand and supply
- Strengths and weakness of AP production
- Evaluation of Plant production rates per m³
- Evaluation of Fish production rates per m³
- Running cost
- Labour input
- The benefits of added value production
- Water quality test and monitoring methods
- Aquaculture water parameter standards
- Evaluation of water resources
7. Plant culture
- Identify a niche market
- Seed propagation and transplant
- Crop schedule and sequenced staggered methods
- Efficient crop management practice
- Crops optimal culture methods
- Pest control and management
- Common Plant nutrient deficiency management
- Managing water chemistry and nutrient availability
- Test protocol for available plants nutrients
- Additional nutrient sources and suppliers
- Crop logbook (excel sheet)
- Become an authorised Aquaculture Production Business
- Fish transport legislation
- Fish regulation and dealing with farm inspection
- Fish movement record
- Farm daily logbook record (handout)
- Handling hygiene and Food safety on farms (handout)
You will be guided through the technicalities of Aquaculture farming and the applied methods of hydroponic production consolidating knowledge for your own project.
We will teach you all you need to know about the management of commercial aquaponics farms, which has helped many farms around the world to thrive.
Together we are changing the way the world approaches farming, for a more sustainable future for all.
Bioaquafarm is the UK market leader, in my opinion, for aquaponics instruction (from backyard to commercial) and experience. Courses are both highly instructive, sensitive to individual needs and questions, and all delivered with Antonio and Amanda’s infectious enthusiasm and exceptional hospitality. Jeremy Burnell
A very well-presented course with so much information. Everything you would need to set up a professional operation. Ed Lindsell, South Africa
My second course here ‘A thoroughly enjoyable and insightful weekend by Antonio. Extremely valuable and highly recommended, great networking too! Huge thank you! Ande Gregson, Green Lab, London
First class course- Best available. Very deep level of knowledge, extremely thorough and delivered with so much infectious enthusiasm and inspiration. Thank you very much. Katherine Headlam, UK
Course dates for 2018:
- 21st – 22nd July
- 29th – 30th September
- Learning materials.
- Lunch made with many delicious ingredients from our farm.
- Snacks and refreshments on both days.
- Commercial Aquaponics certificate.
Sharing’s caring: bring a business partner and receive 10% off your combined course fee! When you register for 2 places the discount will be shown in the checkout page.
Class size is limited and places fill up fast, register early to guarantee your space.
Bioaqua Farm, Poolbridge Rd
Wedmore/Somerset, BS28 4PA